Day 24 – Turn Your Shine On
“The best years of your life are the ones in which you decide your problems are your own. You do not blame them on your mother, the ecology, or the president. You realize that you control your own destiny.” – Albert Ellis
Anyone for a KISS? – Keep It Simple Sweetie
For thousands of years people have eaten well and managed to stay healthy without nutritional scientists, health experts and without even knowing what an antioxidant or enzyme was.
However as we have turned and put our faith into technology and handed over our responsibility to the experts we are being presented with foods that no longer look like something you would find at a farmers market and more like something created in a laboratory.
So today to cut through the confusion I want us to look once again at food rules, rules that simply follow common sense, that are easy to follow and have the side effect of making us feel fantastic.
I’m the first person to love technology, but I think I will save the gadgets and factory created inventions for my kitchen and my office equipment, not my dinner plate.
We’ve had some really good ideas come in from the beautiful people with us on this program (Thank you!) and we are well on the way to create our Shining Food Manifesto.
So far we have:
- If it comes from a plant eat it, if it was made in a plant don’t
- Eat food from the Earth and not from a box
- Eat when truly hungry. If you are not hungry enough to grab a piece of food from the Earth…. Are you truly hungry?
- Do the best you can to eat ‘natural’ as much as possible every day but don’t beat yourself up if you slip up one day. Just get back on track
- Start your day as you mean to go on. Choose a raw / health choice for breakfast this will set you up for the day ahead
Today I would also like to add:
- Don’t eat it unless you can picture the ingredients in their natural form – Do you really know what maltodextrin looks like? (in case you were wondering it’s an ingredient from a packet of typical crisps)
- Avoid it if it contains ingredients that you Grandmother wouldn’t recognise
- Think twice about eating foods that contain more than 5 – 6 ingredients. Did you know that whilst one packet of ready salted ‘potato’ crisps contain 3 ingredients, another contains over 10, when you looked at flavoured varieties, the number of ingredients can double
Day 24 Challenge
- Start to look at ingredient labels and become familiar with the items listed
- Think about the food rules that you want to take forward from this program
- Post your comments and food rules below